Meerut Nagar NigamThe Nagar Nigam is the urban local body that has been constituted under the provisions of the respective state as stipulated under the 74th Constitutional Amendment Act of 1992. This local body is the governing body for those places where the population is more than 1,00,000. Among other functions, the Nagar Nigam overlooks functions such as maintenance of records of birth and death, water supply, solid waste management, etc. The funds for the day-to-day functioning is allocated out of the taxes collected by letting out, advertising, issuance of birth and death certificates, collection of property tax, water tax, municipality tax, etc. from the citizens who reside within the municipality limits.
Meerut Nagar Nigam has been constituted under the provisions of the Uttar Pradesh Nagar Municipal Corporation Act of 1959. Some of the aims and objectives include regularizing and maintenance of transparency of the services and also ensure quality of services. The Meerut Nagar Nigam overlooks the administration of Meerut covering a total area of 141.89 square kilometers with a population of 1,30,000 in the metropolitan area. The city is divided into three divisions namely - Mawana, Meerut and Sardhana and eighty wards.
Constitution of Meerut Nagar NigamThe members of the Nagar Nigam are elected directly by the people for a term of five years. One member is elected from each of the eighty wards. The Municipal Council is headed by the Mayor, who is assisted by other members in the council.
Meerut Nagar Nigam Services
- Public Works - Services relating to maintenance of roads, public parks, etc.
- Public Health - maintenance of public toilets, controlling menace of dogs, etc.
- Tax and Rent Collection - Collection of taxes and rent on regular basis.
- Advertising - Permission for glow lights, hoardings etc.
- Street Light - maintenance and repair of street lights.
- License - granting of license for shops, rickshaws, private clinics etc.
- Water Supply - ensures water supply to various corners of the city.
- Property - keeping track of property of Nagar Nigam, issuing NOC, etc.
- Garden and Horticulture - maintenance of public parks, horticulture gardens, etc.
- Control Room - includes the Citizens grievance Center.
- Some of the other departments also include the audit, finance legal and RTI.
Meerut Nagar Nigam Functions
The Meerut Nagar Nigam also has to perform a number of responsibilities such as maintenance of water supply, maintenance of bridges and flyovers, etc. Solid Waste Management is a crucial area where the solid wastes are collected and disposed off safely.
In terms of road condition, overall transport infrastructure and urban management Meerut has been facing a number of loopholes. Traffic congestion during the peak hours, solid waste management, and inefficiency of sewerage management and disposal mechanism are some of the problems faced. Maintenance of public health and safety especially in the growing slum areas of the city continues to be a major threat for the overall infrastructure of the city.
Contact Details of Meerut Nagar Nigam
Nagar Nigam Meerut
Kesarganj, Meerut – 250002
Ph No: 0121-2515133
Fax No: 0121 - 2665809
Toll free No: 18001803090 Control Room No: 0121-2420851
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0